A Danish Man Is Suspected Of Killing Five In A Bow And Arrow Attack In Norway

Five people dead in a bow-and-arrow attack in the Norwegian town of Kongsberg

A 37-year-old Danish national is suspected of killing five people in a bow and arrow attack in the Norwegian city of Kongsberg in a rare mass killing incident in Norway, police said Thursday Two people, including an off-duty police officer, were injured in the Wednesday night attacks, which took place at different locations in the city, 68 kilometers (42 miles) southwest of the capital Oslo.

“This dire situation, of course, is making a deep impression on Kongsberg and those who live here,” said district police chief Oeyvind Aas in a statement The suspect, who was detained, is believed to have been acting alone, police said. They didn’t say anything about a possible motive.

READ ALSO»»  The Defiant Bolsonaro Said That Is Only God That Will Get Him Out Of Brasilia

Several of the attacks were carried out with a bow and arrow, Aas said Wednesday night, although police were also investigating whether other weapons were used The death toll was the worst of any attack in Norway since 2011, when far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people, most of them teenagers, in a youth camp.

Police said they were releasing information about the man’s nationality after rumors surfaced on social media about people not linked to the attacks Norway’s incoming Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Store, who will take office on Thursday after winning the general election last month, said the outgoing government had kept him informed.

“What we have learned from Kongsberg testifies to a gruesome and brutal act,” Store said in a statement to the NTB news agency The attacks lasted for more than half an hour in a “large area” of Kongsberg, including at a Coop Extra grocery store, the Aftenposten newspaper said, citing police.

READ ALSO»»  Elaine Thompson-Herah Runs The Second Fastest Time In The History Of The Women's 100 Meter Race

A woman who lives near the store said that she had heard alarms while she was walking home “I saw a group of policemen, including one who was holding several arrows in his hand,” the woman, Marit Hoefle, told the newspaper.

Investigators are considering whether the attacks constituted an act of terrorism and said they would release more details on the incident later on Thursday Police were questioning the suspect and were cooperating, his defense attorney said.

“He is cooperating and giving detailed statements on this event,” attorney Fredrik Neumann told public broadcaster NRK Footage from one of the crime scenes showed an arrow that appeared to be stuck in the wall of a wood-paneled building Approximately 28,000 people live in Kongsberg Township.

READ ALSO»»  Things All Candidates Should Know About JAMB 2021 Cut-Off Marks

Following the attacks, the police leadership said it had ordered officers across the country to carry firearms. The Norwegian police are normally unarmed, but officers have access to weapons when necessary.