Soldiers who staged an uprising in Guinea’s capital on Sunday said in a short broadcast on state television that they had dissolved the constitution and government in the West African state.
However, the Defense Ministry said that an attack on the presidential palace by mutinous forces had been suppressed.
On Sunday morning there had been heavy gunfire near the presidential palace in Conakry, and multiple sources said that an elite unit of the national army led by a former French legionnaire, Mamady Doumbouya, was behind the unrest.
An unidentified soldier, wearing the Guinean national flag and surrounded by eight other armed soldiers, said in the broadcast that they planned to form a transitional government and that he would give more details later.
The soldier spoke after videos shared on social media, which Reuters could not immediately authenticate, showed President Alpha Conde surrounded in a room by army special forces.
The Defense Ministry said the tempted insurgency had been quelled “The presidential guard, supported by loyal Republican security and defense forces, contained the threat and repelled the group of assailants,” he said in a statement “Security and combing operations continue to restore order and peace.”
Previously, videos shared on social media showed military vehicles patrolling the streets of Conakry and a military source said that the only bridge connecting the mainland with the Kaloum neighborhood, which houses the palace and most government ministries, had been sealed.