Lewis Hamilton will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix after testing positive for coronavirus. The Mercedes driver returned three negative tests last week, but began showing mild symptoms on Monday after coming into contact with a person who subsequently tested positive.
Mercedes says they will announce Hamilton’s temporary replacement “in due course.” Stoffel Vandoorne and Esteban Gutierrez are the team’s substitute drivers.
In a statement Tuesday, Mercedes said: “The Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 Team regrets to announce that Lewis Hamilton tested positive for COVID-19 and will not be able to participate in this weekend’s Sakhir GP.
“Lewis was tested three times last week and tested negative each time, the last of which was Sunday afternoon at the Bahrain International Circuit as part of the standard race weekend testing program.
“However, he woke up on Monday morning with mild symptoms and at the same time was informed that a contact prior to his arrival in Bahrain had subsequently tested positive. So Lewis ran one more test and came back positive. Since then, this has been confirmed by a new test.
“Lewis is now isolating himself according to the Covid-19 protocols and the guidelines of the public health authorities in Bahrain. Other than mild symptoms, he is otherwise fit and well, and the whole team sends him their best wishes for a speedy recovery. “